Our journey began through the provision of first aid training and services to the community which then quickly grew into emergency ambulance services, patient transport services and most recently the provision of primary health and urgent care services. Collectively these services allow St John to focus on its core purpose – the service of humanity through the relief of sickness, distress, suffering and danger.
What makes the journey of St John in Western Australia so unique and special is the way it has evolved the provision of the highest quality professional services with an incredibly strong connection to the community through volunteerism.
Our purpose in Western Australia is to serve humanity and build resilient communities through the relief of sickness, distress, suffering and danger. We do this by:
- Making first aid a part of everyone’s life
- Delivering high quality cost effective ambulance service to Western Australians
- Providing appropriate, timely and equitable access into the health system for unscheduled care
In delivering on our purpose, St John continually seeks to:
- Improve patient outcomes and position ourselves for future health care challenges
- Strengthen our relationship with partners and the community
- Build strong, customer focused businesses in emerging competitive markets
St John in Western Australia also maintains a strong focus on its obligations as a charitable organisation maximising its charitable contribution to the community, over and above what would be expected of the services funded by the government, businesses or the community.
WHAT WE DO
St John provides the state’s ambulance service, delivering pre-hospital care every day to Western Australians in need. We are also Western Australian’s leading provider of first aid training, delivering first aid training to more than 14 per cent of the state’s population each year. We link the community’s first aid capability with providing the state’s emergency ambulance service in a number of ways:
- Supporting the provision of youth first aid training through schools and clubs
- Activating Community First Responder (CFR) volunteers through the CFR program
- Activating members of the community in emergencies through the St John First Responder app
- Providing high quality medical and first aid services at public events
Our expansion into primary health is a strategic move aimed at ensuring people can access vital health services, particularly when they have unexpected health needs. This is an extension of what we have always sought to achieve through first aid training and ambulance services. It helps us move towards the desired position of being an effective gateway into the health system for unscheduled care.
For more information on St John Ambulance WA and how we serve our community, visit stjohnambulance.com.au.